Over the years I have come across many misconceptions around Reiki, the most common being that doing Reiki is draining, or that you can pick up ‘bad’ energy from others. Other people, have told me Reiki is ‘unGodly’ – whatever that means! While others tell me Reiki is unbalancing, and as in the discussion last week – can harm or make things worse. To remedy all these myths and rumours, I have compiled the 5 Qualities of Reiki which hopefully helps to dispel many of these misconceptions.
As always I add the rider ‘in my humble opinion‘ as none of us truly know or understand Reiki, but this is what seems right to me via my experience over the past 20 years.
1. Reiki energy is osmotic: Reiki energy flows as if by osmosis and once it enters the body it will be used where it is most needed. There is no requirement to direct the energy. In osmotic terms there is a flow from high Universal Life Energy (the air surrounding us) to low Universal Life Energy (our tired and exhausted bodies!). The energy will flow as long as there is a difference in concentration. When there is no longer a difference in concentration, the body is in equilibrium. When Reiki is flowing it is drawn to areas of high need, it is an automatic process that requires no conscious direction or focus on our part. It is simply energy naturally balancing itself, it is not directed by God or unGod and has nothing to do with your belief system or religion.
2. Reiki energy is all-encompassing: It works on all levels: physical, mental and emotional. ‘One size fits all’ due to the neutral state of the energy as it enters the body. The energy is used by the body and does not act on the body. Like potential energy (for example, energy present in calories that is dormant until released by our cells), it is inert until ‘funneled’ into the body via our hands. Reiki energy will drive whatever work needs to be done: on a physiological level it can be used to repair damaged cells, reproduce, build immunity, create more efficient communication between different parts of the body, or release toxins. On a mental or emotional level it can be used to promote relaxation and calm. This is why everyone has a different experience and journey with Reiki.
3. Reiki energy flows automatically: Reiki will ‘switch’ itself on or off with no personal effort, skill, or special gift required by us. Anyone can be attuned to Reiki. Reiki flow switches on and off depending on the osmotic flow of the energy and without any conscious effort or belief on the practitioner’s part. So just as Reiki will flow to where it is most needed without our direction, so it will also be regulated by the body’s need in terms of the amount of flow required. This quality manifests itself whether Reiki is being given or received. It is not possible to ‘unbalance’ yourself or others, Reiki is either flowing because you need it, or it isn’t. You cannot ‘force’ Reiki to go anywhere it is not required, so there is no danger of the body becoming ‘over-Reikied’.
4. Reiki energy is complementary: Reiki is complementary with any other form of healing or medication. There are no known contra-indications. Because Reiki is a neutral energy it has no innate quality of its own so it is both complementary to other forms of treatment – such as chemotherapy – and safe to use when other treatments might be precluded – such as for pregnant women and babies. I have given Reiki to every conceivable ailment with no ill effect, of course some people do experience detox and this may feel rather uncomfortable, but in my experience you cannot make an existing condition worse with Reiki.
5. Reiki energy is universal and limitless: Reiki does not use up personal energy or drain you in any way. Neither does it rely on your state of health. People who are already very sick can use Reiki to treat themselves or others. This quality makes Reiki very different from many other energy healing methods, for example Chi Gung (Qigong) healing, in which Chi (which is believed to be the life energy of the body) needs to be built up within the healer and then pumped into the person to be healed, dispelling their negative Chi. This leaves the Chi Gung Master depleted of energy. Reiki has the opposite effect in that, after treatment, practitioners often feel rejuvenated themselves having absorbed some of the energy that has been flowing through them to the other person. It is a significant benefit of Reiki that, by giving Reiki to another, you also receive it yourself. It also means that no matter how sick you are, you can still begin rebuilding your own energy without relying solely on others.
Hope this helps! Please add your opinions in the comments below and let us know if there are any qualities you would also add?